A small stone lifted by a truck can damage the windshield splintering a portion thereof. Over time this splinter often becomes cracks to point that the windshield be ruined and need to be replaced. If you detect in time you can fix the damage before it gets worse. A repaired windshield is almost like new.
- Make sure this is only a sliver and a crack is almost impossible to fix with a kit of repair. You can try but probably the end result is having to replace the windshield anyway. Make repairs as soon as possible as a splinter can become a crack grows.
- Get windshield repair kit as mentioned below. You can order DIY repair kits or buy them at stores for auto parts.
- Choose a dry day and park your car inside. It is not appropriate to make this repair when the weather is wet or cold. Clean the crack with a clean cloth dampened with acetone. Work carefully because acetone can remove paint from your car.
- Use the corner of a razor blade to scrape off any loose parts of glass or dirt. Acetone removes dirt from the crack but can still be stones or small pieces of glass.
- Place the alignment tool repair directly above the crack. Most kits has four suction cups with a threaded hole between them. Place it directly on the splintered party.
- Screw the repair tube firmly in the alignment tool. It is a small tube threaded with rubber tip. Get in the car and make sure it presses against the splintered party. If not you unscrew and move the alignment tool to the right place.
- Put two drops of resin tube repair (or as they say instructions) and quickly screwed the plunger as firmly as possible. Once properly adjusted, I Instead halfway for a few seconds to let the air bubbles escape, then retighten. Let stand for about one minute and then remove the tools.
- Carefully apply the finishing film on top of the repair. Let stand for at least 10 minutes and remove it.
- Use the razor blade to scrape the irregularities in the resin. The damage must be almost invisible.
Tips & Warnings
- Some kits use different types of resin with different drying times. If yours comes with than those of this article follow them instructions. If the first time you do not put in enough resin, you will see a hole in the crack when you remove the alignment tool. Put her back and add a few more drops of resin.