When the windshield has been scratched it is best to repair it immediately. Some people ignore scratches that are small. Unfortunately these do not disappear. The problem, which seems to be small, can become an even bigger and more expensive one.
- Rub the scratch with the nail. There are two types of windshield scratches. A superficial rayon is hardly felt when you pass your nail on the glass. On the other hand, if the scratch catches your nail, it is too deep and cannot be repaired. In this case, you must replace the windshield.
- Buy a kit to repair glass that you can assemble yourself. You do not need to hire a professional to fix a small rayon from your windshield. Instead, visit your local auto repair shop and purchase one of these kits.
- Clean the windshield. Use soap and water or a glass cleaner to thoroughly clean the glass and remove all traces of dirt and debris. Rinse and allow to dry completely before attempting to repair the rayon.
- Apply polishing paste for glasses. All glass repair equipment includes this chemical, which is similar to toothpaste. Place it on the rayon.
- Sprinkle water over rayon and paste. Then use a soft cloth to rub the solution. Do it gently. The windshields are fragile and if you put too much pressure on them you can damage the glass.
- Let the pasta dry. This will take about 30 minutes. Next, clean and rinse the windshield, and then wipe it with a cloth.
- Repeat these steps every six months. Glass repair equipment provides a temporary solution. Since the scratches eventually reappear it is best to apply the paste after this period of time.
Tips & Warnings
- If the windshield has a deep rayon or is broken, find out if they can repair it at a car repair shop. Depending on the severity, the repair shop may inject some glue into the rayon so that it does not get worse.