Sooner or later, most of the windshield by a pebble or a stone that causes a small chip or crack hit. Even minor damage can accentuate reflexes automotive glass, which is potentially dangerous if the chip is in the driver’s line of sight. Small chips that are relatively easy to solve.
Automotive supply stores carry more than two or more types of windshield repair kits, ranging from the more complicated method that involves mixing the resin before injecting with a tool bridge, the most basic prefilled syringes. Unless you have experience in this type of repair, the simple method is preferred. Used properly, any method will produce the desired result of stone chip repair virtually undetectable.
- Make sure your windshield is direct sunlight before starting. Use glass cleaner to remove any residual dirt. Allow the cleaned surface dry in the sun for at least five minutes.
- Place the inner suction cup (if any) within the glass. It takes place the open end of the glass on the chipped area so the damage is in the center of the cup. This will add support reinforced on the inside of the windshield. If such a device is not included in the kit, go to the next step.
- Remove the central part of bordering glue (may be a cone in some kits) ring. Carefully remove the film covering the adhesive and place the opening directly onto the area outside chipped windshield. The damaged area should now be “framed” on both sides of the glass.
- Remove the end of the tip of the syringe, making sure it is not pointing towards your face or clothing. Insert the tip into the hole in the annulus or cone outside the windshield. It may be necessary to twist the tip into the opening to the syringe firmly.
- Extend the piston at the top of the syringe with his free hand, pulling up as it will go without removing it. This creates a vacuum effect that forces air of depression in the chip or crack. Quickly release the plunger until it snaps back into place, injection clear acrylic resin on the chip. Leave the suction cup and cone ring or on the glass stand for 12 minutes.
- Peel off the suction cup on the windshield interior. You must slide your fingernail or a flat tool, sharpened under the edge to break the seal. Hold the tab on the ring or cone was attached to the outside of the glass and pull it, trying not to disturb the repaired area.
- Allow the resin or completely heal for 30 to 45 minutes in the sun. Remove any resin extra acrylic, including raised areas directly above repair, through the glass in a direction either with a sharp razor blade or planning tool (sometimes included in the kit) to the area it is soft and equal. Finally, clean the area with a cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol.
Tips & Warnings:
- Individual manufacturers of some repair kits patented windshield can include instructions that may vary slightly from the above tips. If this is the case, always deferring to the guidelines on the package kit.
- For best results, make repairs as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more likely dirt or moisture enter into small cracks in the glass. This will extend the fracture and may require replacement of the windshield all. At least, a delay may damage remain visible after repairs have been made. Rarely, a professional can improve the botched repair an amateur.